New Zealand's first horse tramway was established in 1862 in Nelson, followed by a steam tramway in 1871 in Thames. The first electric tramway came into service in 1900 (Māori Hill, Dunedin). The tram systems in the main centres, and in some smaller towns, were soon electrified. In December 1908 Wanganui became the first provincial town to have a tramway, with the first of 12 trams coming into service in 1909. By 1912 all twelve were in service. By the 1950s all systems were in the process of being replaced by trolleybuses or buses. Last day of trams in Wanganui for the 20th Century was 24th September 1950. Trams 8, 10 and 12 have survived. No.12 has been beautifully restored to her former glory and is now on display at the Wanganui Tramways Trust Shed at Moutoa Quay on the Whanganui River. No.12 was donated to the City of Wanganui after the body was privately restored in Auckland. The trust also plans to renovate Wanganui Tram No.8 and New Plymouth Birney No.8 which were both donated to them unrestored by the Wellington Tramway Museum.